Thursday, June 27, 2013

Give Me All of the Bacon and Eggs You Have


Ever since I started modifying my diet towards Paleo...I feel like Ron Swanson (my dream man)!  Yesterday at Fresh Market 3/4 of my cart was full of meat!  This morning I had a Ron Swanson breakfast of Fresh Market brand eggs and turkey bacon from the butcher at Fresh Market.  I have always loved turkey bacon, but I used to just buy the Oscar Mayer packaged kind.  Boy, have I been missing out!  This turkey bacon looks like it actually came off an animal! It crisps up very well in the skillet and has a great flavor.  Do your self a favor and get REAL turkey bacon and farm fresh eggs (makes all the difference).

I made some great purchases yesterday at Fresh Market, but I had to spend a good ten minutes talking myself out of a pint of Jeni's ice cream.  It was Brown Butter Almond Brittle and was in and out of my hand probably 5 or 6 times.  It has 340 cal and 37g of sugar a  serving!! Woof!  Although, if I would have been in a different state of mind, that little pint would have been mine and probably gone all in one sitting!  (Not that I won't allow myself a cheat meal soon and go to town on some ice cream). They say not to go to the grocery store hungry, which I think is a great idea.  Go one step further and go after you workout!  Yesterday was a tough workout at Crossfit Clay United (not that everyday isn't tough!) and I couldn't justify ruining all of that hard work for 30min of bliss.


Speaking of Crossfit...it DOES force me to eat one non paleo food...pie!  A big ol' slice of humble pie!  I am still new to Crossfit, so I am doing a lot of modifications.  I have always struggled with any activities that require a lot of upper body strength.  I can't do a push up and definitely can't do a pull up!  Yesterday we did :    

Every Minute On the Minute
Odd- 5 Strick Pull Ups
Even- 5 Ring Dips

5 Rounds for Time
1  Rope Climb
20 Wall Ball Shots
10 Chest to Bar Pull Ups
                                     

Soooo....a LOT of upper body strength!  I had to use the bands to assist me on Pull Ups and Ring Dips and substitute Knees to Chest for the Rope Climb.  This can be frustrating for me, because I want to be able to do the prescribed workout and I want to post a great time!  I'm just not there yet.  I have to learn to swallow my pride and find a modification that is challenging but reasonable for me.  With time, I can start to taper back my modifications and start adding some weight.  The key is to not get frustrated!  This is the HUGE benefit of Crossfit for me.  I would never choose to go to the gym and do Pull Ups and Push Ups.  I know I suck at them!  At Crossift, I don't have a choice!  I have to suck it up and do it!  And that's the only way I'm going to get better is to just do it (Just like Nike says)!  Even with the modifications, I am sore all over today and had a great workout!  I even managed to get a bruise on the palm side of my finger :-/ (I'll blame that one on my clumsy awkwardness!).  Now to try to protect my hand until Saturday where I will meet a tough workout named Fran.   Stay strong my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment