Monday, November 9, 2015

Self Confidence

Today's post is about my journey towards mental and emotional health and wellness

In lieu of a break-up, I've been reading a lot of articles and talking to a lot of friends about what makes a good and lasting relationships. 

I've learned that at the end of the day what I really need and want out of a partner is a best friend, someone to push me to become the best version of myself, and someone who chooses to love me every day. 

Then I got to thinking even harder about those traits...wait a second...first of all...I need to be those things for myself!

When you get dumped, especially when you get dumped for someone else or for what you consider a silly reason, it's hard not to fall into a negative spiral and start to blame and belittle yourself.  What did I do wrong? What's wrong with me? Am I not good enough? Am I too fat?  Am I not smart enough?  Am I not fit enough? Is he more attracted to her?  Is she prettier than I am?  Is she funnier than me? (scratch that one...I'm pretty damn funny).  I'm not quite sure how to not get my head to go to those places after those types of things, but I'm quite sure the solutions are in being a great friend, pushing yourself, and making the choice to love yourself ever day.  Seems pretty simple, but for some of us, it can be a bit of a challenge.

Are there ways I screw up?  Every day! Do I have areas I could improve? Sure do!  That's the great thing about being an aware human.  We are capable of change and growth.  I've never been the one to take the attitude "well..that's just me".  There are some things that are uniquely me, but the inability to grow, learn, and become a better person is not one of those!

So what am I going to do? Or what can you do if you're in a similar slump? 

Being a best friend: Being a better friend to my friends, family, and self.  Being patient and forgiving with myself.  Continuing to laugh at and with myself (in a non-crazy way....well...probably also in a crazy way).

Pushing myself: Writing this blog and physically writing down goals and celebrating the achievements great or small.  Exploring and learning new things.  Not being afraid to fail.  Dust myself off and try again if I do fail! Love with abandon!

Loving myself everyday: Making the commitment to the one person who will always be there: ME! Looking in the mirror every morning and saying "Hello there, gorgeous!" (even on days I put about 1% effort into getting ready, mismatched socks, bags under my eyes, hair going the opposite of the intended direction, coffee probably somewhere on my shirt...all around ms.frumpy days).  Making one of those lists of things you love about yourself.  Is it cheesy? Maybe! But let's do it!

I'm pretty sure I know every song (not really, but it's frightening how many I know...particularly in the 90's genre), I cook like a motha' (nice double meaning there ;) ), Quick witted, Thirst for knowledge, Loyal, Love to try new things,  Adventurous, Well traveled, Goofy, Driven, Funny, Supportive, Nurturer, Nature Lover, Talkative (can also be a negative at times...but we are staying on the positivity train right now), Hard worker, Nerd, Killer fashion sense (with exception of ms.frumpy days), Great road trip partner, Great partner/partner, Honest, Animated, I would like to say athletic..depends on the day, I can be pretty awesome at board games (unless it's Monopoly...aint nobody got time for that!), endearingly terrible at singing, Good with kids, A hidden 6 pack, Strong legs....I could go on...but you've probably stopped reading and I probably should write it all down somewhere less public :)

All around like to consider myself a Renaissance woman.  I'll go lift some heavy weights and go do ballet the next day (well...I haven't done ballet in years, but I could!!!).  Listen to some gangster rap, then listen to Yo-Yo Ma...although...let's be honest...dude is a thug ;)

Feel free to post your I love Me's in the comments below and we can just have a full on love fest, because...you are pretty awesome too! 

There is that famous Dr.Suess quote "Today you are You, that is truer than true.  There is no one alive who is Youer than You."  I am Me, and nobody else gets to be me, and THAT alone is pretty darn cool!

I hope you can find some strength in this blog post, I know I did! Stay Strong! Here is a song for you :)

https://screen.yahoo.com/official-video-154216346.html

1 comment: